Esophagogastroduodenoscopy / Upper Endoscopy / EGD Prep Instructions
About Upper Endoscopy (EGD):
An EGD is a procedure your doctor will perform to examine the lining of your esophagus, stomach and duodenum (first section of small intestine). The doctor will insert a flexible tube into your mouth, down your esophagus, into the stomach and small bowel looking for abnormalities. Prior to the procedure, you will be given a sedative and pain medication through an IV. Following the procedure, you will be groggy for a few hours and therefore, should not schedule anything else for the remainder of the day. You are NOT allowed to drive for the remainder of the day. It is recommended to have a person over the age of 18 stay with you for 6-8 hours after the procedure.
What to bring and do prior to the procedure:
- Please bring your Photo ID and Insurance Card.
- Please bring a list of your current medications (including non-prescription) and allergies.
- You must have a driver 18 years of age or older who will accept responsibility and drive you home. They will need to be within a 15 minute driving distance of our facility. They will be notified when your procedure is over and MUST be present at the time of discharge to receive instructions and teaching. You are NOT allowed to take a bus, taxi, Access a Ride, walk home, etc. If you do not have a ride your procedure will be cancelled or rescheduled.
- You should plan on being at our facility for at least 2 hours.
- Read prep instructions THOROUGHLY.
- Do not drink ANYTHING for 3 hours before your procedure.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, you MUST do so 3 business days prior to your appointment date or a cancellation fee may be assessed.
When you arrive at our facility, please check in using the white phone located in the lobby.
(The receptionist is unable to check you in)
- Boulder - located to your left as you walk through the second automatic door, next to the door with a stop sign.
- Lafayette - located to the right of the receptionist’s desk.
- Lakewood- located to the left of the door in the endoscopy waiting room.
- Longmont - located on a small table on the east side of partition in the lobby.