Five Days Before the Procedure:
- Contact prescribing physician for dosage instructions of blood thinners.
- If you are diabetic, please contact our office for instructions.
- Stop eating nuts and small seeds.
- Stop taking iron (even multivitamins containing iron).
- Make sure you have a driver arranged to take you home.
Two Days Before the Procedure:
- Obtain bowel prep from your pharmacy.
- Avoid vegetables, pulpy fruits, oatmeal, and cereal with high fiber, nuts, and small seeds.
One Day Before the Procedure:
- Have a light breakfast. Please avoid oatmeal, high fiber cereals, nuts, seeds, pulpy fruits. NO ALCOHOL. Once you have had breakfast, please stay on a clear liquid diet for the rest of the day.
- Have a light breakfast and lunch. Please avoid oatmeal, high fiber cereals, nuts, seeds, pulpy fruits. NO ALCOHOL. Once you have had breakfast and lunch, please stay on clear liquid diet for the rest of the day
Taking the Prep:
- 5pm– Step 1- Empty 1 pouch A and 1 pouch B into container. Add lukewarm water to the top line. Mix to dissolve. Step 2-Container is divided by 4 marks. Every 15min. drink the solution down to the next mark until full liter is complete. Please drink 16oz. of water until you go to bed.
- You will drink the second ½ of the prep approximately 5 hours before your appointment time and you must be done drinking prep and all liquids and prep 3 hours before your appointment time.
- You may use Tucks medicated wipes or baby wipes (alcohol/fragrance free) and Charmin Plus toilet tissue to minimize expected anal irritation.
- Please see Colonoscopy Prep FAQs for answers to common problems with the taking the prep.
Day of the Procedure:
You may take regular medications with small sips of water.
- If your prep is not working please call our office and ask for the office nurse of your physician. After hours calls will be forwarded to the doctor that is on call.
Clear Liquid Diet:
As a rule – if you can see through it you can drink it. NO RED OR PURPLE DYES.
- Clear fruit juices – white grape juices or apple juice
- Kool-Aid, Power-Aid, Gatorade – No red or purple
- Soup – broth or bouillon
- Tea or coffee WITHOUT creamers
- Soda – 7-UP, Sprite, Ginger Ale, Orange Soda
- Jell-O (no red or purple)
- 100% cranberry or pomegranate juice (these are red but do not contain dyes)